Our 2018 General Auditions have passed.
Please check back regularly for updates, or submit resumes, headshots, and portfolios to Auditions@EnlightenedTheatrics.org.
Enlightened Theatrics 2018 Season
Invited Callback: April 21st | 12:00pm to 5:00pm | Pentacle Theatre’s Downtown Office – 145 Liberty St. NE #2, Salem, 97301
Rehearsals: September 10th through October 4th
Tech Rehearsals: October 5th through October 9th
Preview Performances: October 10th and 11th
Performances: October 12th through November 4th
“Sweeney Todd, an unjustly exiled barber, returns to London, seeking vengeance against the lecherous judge who framed him and ravaged his young wife. The road to revenge leads Todd to Mrs. Lovett, a resourceful proprietress of a failing pie shop, above which, he opens a new barber practice. Mrs. Lovett’s luck sharply shifts when Todd’s thirst for blood inspires the integration of an ingredient into her meat pies that has the people of London lining up… and the carnage has only just begun!”
Sweeney Todd: A wrongfully imprisoned barber seeking to right the wrongs committed against him. He is Johanna’s father, singularly focused on taking bloody revenge. Our story’s tormented protagonist.
Age: 40 to 55. Vocal range: F2-Gb4
Lovett: An entrepreneurial and amoral meat pie shop owner. She falls in love with Todd and turns his desire for revenge into a profitable business venture.
Age: 35 to 50. Vocal range bottom: G3-E5
Anthony Hope: A naive and youthful sailor returning to London. He helps Todd return to London and unexpectedly falls in love with Johanna.
Age: 20 to 30. Vocal range: Bb2-F4
Johanna: A spritely girl, full of innocence, constantly yearning for freedom. Todd’s long-lost daughter and Turpin’s ward.
Age: 18 to 21. Vocal range: Bb3-A5
Tobias Ragg: A poor youngster apprenticed to Pirelli. He finds a surrogate family in Todd and Lovett.
Age: 12 to 18. Vocal range: Bb2-Ab4
Judge Turpin: A lecherous public official who portrays himself as a sanctimonious authoritarian. He takes advantage of his position in the city and is responsible for imprisoning Todd.
Age: 50 to 65. Vocal range: E2-Gb4
The Beadle: A pompous public official. He is deeply loyal to the corrupt Turpin.
Age: 40 to 55. Vocal range: D3-D5
Beggar Woman: A deranged and schizophrenic woman who harbors a dark, surprising secret.
Age: 35 to 50. Vocal range: Ab3-F5
Adolfo Pirelli: A flamboyant Italian rival barber; a charlatan with a secret past.
Age: 30 to 45. Vocal range: B2-C5
Ensemble: Jonas Fogg, Townspeople; Policemen; Lunatics
Invited Callback: April 21st | 5:00pm to 8:00pm | Pentacle Theatre’s Downtown Office – 145 Liberty St. NE #2, Salem, 97301
Rehearsals: November 19th through December 6th
Tech Rehearsals: December 7th through December 11th
Preview Performances: December 12th and 13th
Performances: December 14th through December 30th
“It’s Christmas in the third smallest town in Texas! Radio station OKKK news personalities Thurston Wheelis and Arles Struvie report on various Yuletide activities, including hot competition in the annual lawn display contest. In other news, voracious Joe Bob Lipsey’s production of “A Christmas Carol” is jeopardized by unpaid electric bills. Two actors voice more than ten colorful Tuna denizens each, some you will recognize from Greater Tuna and some appearing here for the first time. Audiences who have and who have not seen Greater Tuna will enjoy this laugh filled evening.”
Characters (all portrayed by only two actors):
- Arles Struvie – A disc jockey at radio station OKKK.
- Didi Snavely – Owner of Didi’s Used Weapons (“If we can’t kill it, it’s immortal”)
- Petey Fisk – Employee of the Greater Tuna Humane Society
- Jody Bumiller – Youngest child of Bertha Bumiller
- Stanley Bumiller – Aspiring taxidermist, fresh from reform school; twin to Charlene
- Charlene Bumiller – Daughter of Bertha Bumiller and sister to Stanley and Jody; infatuated with Joe Bob Lipsey.  As seen with Bertha Bumiller (Sears) at the Kennedy Center]
- Vera Carp – Town snob and acting leader of the Smut-Snatchers of the New Order (“until the Rev. Spikes gets out of prison”)
- Dixie Deberry – Controller of the Tuna Electric Company
- Helen Bedd – A waitress at the Tasty-Creme  As seen with Inita Goodwin (Sears) at the Kennedy Center]
- Farley Burkhalter – A “little person” and a patron of the Tasty-Creme
- Garland Poteet- A soda distributor and one of Inita’s many boyfriends
- Thurston Wheelis – A disc jockey at radio station OKKK
- Elmer Watkins – The victim of a tragic flameshooter incident, Elmer was left with no eyebrows.
- Bertha Bumiller – Housewife and mother to Jody, Stanley, and Charlene; member of the Smut Snatchers of the New Order (“Censorship is as American as apple pie, so shut up!”)
- Leonard Childers – Entrepreneur and radio personality on OKKK
- R. Snavely – UFOlogist and husband to Didi
- Pearl Burras – Aunt to Bertha, former riveter in Houston during World War II (the Japanese “never sank one of [her] ships!”)
- Sheriff Givens – Called “Rubber Sheets” due to his having wet the bed at church camp
- Ike Thompson- a slow-witted highway worker
- Inita Goodwin – A waitress at the Tasty-Creme
- Phoebe Burkhalter- Presumably Farley’s significant other, Phoebe is voiced by Sears but onstage is a wig behind a window manipulated by a stagehand
- Joe Bob Lipsey – the “not-the-marrying-kind” director of the Tuna Little Theater’s “troubled production” of A Christmas Carol
Enlightened Theatrics is always on the lookout for passionate creative and technical team members. Fill out and submit the form below to be considered for future openings.